About the Reasoned Way
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” – Albert Einstein
Life is challenging, heartbreaking, wonderful, and truly mysterious. Life is a miracle! Sentient life appears to be an extreme rarity in the universe. From birth to death, the experience of life is, essentially, all we have known. After many millennia of experiencing life, though, we know next to nothing about it.
While the years of routine can numb our senses, the underlying desire to understand why we are and the purpose of our lives never really leaves us. While we may never know the answers, we can try to find them. One of our greatest tools in this journey is reason.
Reason1 is our ability to think, understand, and form judgements logically. Reason is a process. First, we strive to understand the issue under consideration. Second, we lay out all of our presumptions and biases. This is critical to ensuring the integrity of our analysis. Third, we weigh all of the factors and make a calculated judgement, often times without clear proof or certainty. At Reasoned Media, we will use this process across three primary areas:
- Reasoned Thinking is a review of humanity’s greatest ideas from its brightest minds. We will discuss the lives and ideas of humanity’s great philosophers. We will break down scientific discoveries into more easily understood concepts.
- Reasoned Spirituality is a critical review and examination of humanity’s religious traditions. The goal is to look at them through a respectful, but clear, lens.
- Reasoned Living is where we synthesize what we have learned from the first two categories of analysis. In short, we will develop critical insights into the meaning and purpose of our existence. Additionally, we discover ways to apply these insights to our daily lives, social interactions, politics, etc. As stated earlier, reasoning is a process and so is developing concepts about Reasoned Living. Expect the essential insights to evolve and adapt as our knowledge grows. The Resources link is where we will keep a running list of the essential lessons, principles, and insights that we have developed over time.
Articles will also belong to a couple of other categories:
- The Founder’s Corner is, basically, Dave Gaddis’ personal blog. Topics will include technology, book and movies reviews, and things of general interest. Hopefully, they will be of interest to you. 🙂
- The Current Affairs category is where we will discuss the latest news, filtering out the standard bias and spin through the filter of reason.
Collective Learning in a Respectful Environment
Reasoned Media provides a forum for us to grow personally, challenge our understanding of key topics, and test our judgements regarding existence, morals, and meaning in a respectful environment.
You will find that aggressiveness, bullying, and dishonesty are not tolerated at Reasoned Media. We are here to learn in a collaborative, mutually supportive environment.
You can rest assured that the moderator’s hammer will fall decisively on trolls.
What is the goal?
Our goal is to find happiness, but not in the modern sense of the word. Eudaimonia2 is a Greek word that is often translated as happiness, but really means to flourish. The University of Idaho’s description of eudaimonia describes our goal at Reasoned Media very well.
But we are not referring to an emotional state or pleasure, but rather a fulfilled life, one that is lived in accord to our deepest values and aspirations not just for ourselves but for our families and community.
This is what Jefferson was really referring to in the Declaration of Independence when he said that people “are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”